19 April 2006

Making Find Words Larger on ThreeCols.htm

The task was this:

Figure out how to make the words on left top cell bigger on ThreeCols.htm

  • Possibly use a graphic instead of words (option 1)
  • The problem links:
    • Find Books, Course Reserves, Videos
    • Find Services for Faculty & Students

  • Could make the header FIND… with the links being (option 2)
    • Books, Course Reserves, Video
    • Articles and Research Info
    • Information on the Internet
    • Help and Tutorials
    • Services for Faculty & Students
    • Library Lending Policies
What I did:
  • I opted not to use graphics which present a loading problem for those with modems.
  • I decided to work with option 2. This is what I did:
    • Changed the column header [css style id="search2"] wording to "Find ..."
      • Did not need to change the style in stylesheet..
    • Removed the word "find" from each of the links as above.
    • Tried an inline style on the links to make the font larger but it didn't work as well as I liked.
    • Added a new style to the stylesheet library.css :
      • .announce2 {border-left: 1px solid #CCCCCC; font-size: .95em; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.3; padding: 10px;}
    • This seems to work O.K.

1 comment:

MPeloquin said...

After looking at the Find... section of the page on several occasions, I found the bolding of the entries to weigh the left side of the page too heavily. And, it somehow clashed with the "What's New" heading beneath it. So, I removed the "font-weight:bold" attribute and I like it better. --mp 4/20/06