24 April 2006

Adjusting to the insertion of Know How logo on Guides

After receiving information from Teresa that she had inserted the Know How logo into all of the study guides but hadn't made backup copies, this is what I did/am doing:
  • Informed the Web Cmte that I had backup copies.
  • Used Bulk Rename to rename all the index.htm and the other copy to
    • index-apr06.htm
    • filename-apro6.htm
    • Note: unfortunately, unlike Autoreplace which can replace text within all selected folders, Bulk Rename must work with one folder at a time to replace filenames. However, it was easy to set up what was to be replaced.
      • Used suffix replace (which inserts a string as a suffix before the .extension) to insert "-apr06" into the selected files in a folder.
      • Then, just opened each folder, selected the index and copy, and clicked Rename. Went very quickly.
However, we now had/have another issue -- the unsophisticated look of the colored former header graphics [maroon #9c3952] [green #006300] next to the inserted Know How graphic with it's own color [#0098d9] which did not harmonize at all.

It seems to me that replacing the old graphic with a black and white graphic could be the solution, so
  • I brought a couple of the old graphics into the graphics program I use to see if I could find a close matching font to use.
  • After several tries, I found that Futura XBlk BT worked best and toned down the stark black by changing to a font color of #404040.
    • There is still the issue of the serif "library.austincc.edu" on top of the Know How graphic which means that we have three separate fonts in a header, but that serif font has always looked odd and no one seems to mind except me.
  • I have made two replacements and now need to seek the opinion of the Web Cmte.

No comments: