04 October 2011

QR Codes in the Library Catalog

After a little investigation, I learned that the Library Anywhere QR codes function is available without charge to Library Anywhere subscribers and one does not need a Library Thing account to embed the code in the bibliographic record display.

This is done by a widget so does not reside in the record itself but is generated on the fly when the bib record is displayed. It involves adding some simple code to the bib_display.html file and enabling the QR code function in our Library Anywhere settings.

I've done this successfully in the Staging (test) directory of the catalog. I have discovered one quirk that I don't see a reason for and will continue to try to determine why the instructions below the QR code disappear if the item does not have a book cover.

You see see what it looks like by searching the staging catalog on campus only. The staging url is http://alicat.austincc.edu:2082/

One of the other iii libraries included a link to information about QR codes and I thought that was a good idea so I created a new FAQ about QR codes and linked to it from the bibliographic record.

No comments: